marathondan
Some useful links. My London Marathon 2005 diary starts here. The race report is here.
Diary archives: 09/04 10/04 11/04 12/04 01/05 02/05 03/05 04/05 07/05 08/05 01/06
Monday, February 07, 2005  

New ground

I broke new ground for the first time in 10 weeks last night and did my 12.5 miler. It wasn't too bad - the first couple of laps felt pretty good, the next couple were slightly uncomfortable, and the last one a little grim - so no real surprises. But I felt pretty good afterwards and am not suffering any major ill-effects today.

One thing is for certain though - the bananas are off. They went down fine, but after 10 miles of swinging around in a bum bag they were in a pretty sorry state. And I do not want to be arsing around with squashed bananas after twenty miles of running. So I'm off to order some energy bars and gels.

Now I just need to decide whether to stick with the planned "step-back" long run next weekend (10 miles) or do another 12.5 to make up for the 12 I missed.

Comments:
Be careful with trying to make up for the lost ground. The 10 miles will fit better with what the plan says for next week and you dont want to over do things so soon after your illness. But I know why you are thinking the way you are, its tempting and I could uite easily see myself doing the same, make sure you take it extra easy if you do run it.

Hope you get on well with the energy bars, they might not fit in well with the hippy viewpoint but I bet at the 20 mile point you wont really be too bother by that!


 
Thanks for the advice - I had been thinking of compromising and doing 11. A stash of Squeezy gels arrived yesterday (excellent service from Wiggle as usual) so will try those out at the weekend.


 
Or do what I did .... my long run last weekend was a lot longer than it should have been (given the lurgy!) but I took it a lot slower and have suffered no ill effects

My club keep on reminding me "the hardest part about FLM is getting to the start line" - don't push too hard and miss it
pix


 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?