marathondan
Some useful links. My London Marathon 2005 diary starts here. The race report is here.
Diary archives: 09/04 10/04 11/04 12/04 01/05 02/05 03/05 04/05 07/05 08/05 01/06
Tuesday, January 04, 2005  

New Year update

Saturday – another post-cold 2.5 miles. Didn’t feel very comfortable, probably because it was only an hour after lunch. Think about pre-race eating strategy! On the plus side, it was about 10 seconds per mile faster than the previous two days.

Sunday – 5 miles, felt comfortable, same pace per mile as Saturday. I’m still about 40 sec per mile slower than my "normal" (randomly determined) training pace and it feels like it will take quite a while to regain that.

Monday – scheduled rest day.

Tuesday – unscheduled rest day! (Unless I get time for a run tonight). I need to plan whether my midweek runs will be before work, at lunchtime, or the evening, and stick to it. With the mild panic of returning to work after a week and a half off, the plan still requires some more planning. I felt that just getting out of bed two hours earlier was more than enough effort for today.

Regarding pace: I’m a bit of a hippy, so I’m trying to stay away from over-technologising my training, hence the absence of heart rate monitors, GPS units, etc (and why I’m writing a training diary on the internet, obviously). However, I do need to think a little bit about pace, and make sure I don’t train too fast. I’m optimistically hoping to beat 4 hours for the marathon, which is 9:10 per mile… and which is just about my current (post-cold) training pace. So really, for the long runs, my previous pace was too fast, and I shouldn’t be looking to get any faster.

One moment of note during my 5 miles on Sunday. Just into the second lap, I felt a familiar sensation… all over my legs – hamstrings, quads, knees, ankles, hips – little pains were appearing. Nothing serious, just the odd twinges that go with regular running. These had been absent while I’d been resting, and it was strangely comforting to feel them again. Training for a marathon is, for me, something very much out of the ordinary – the kind of daft experience that reminds you that this is real life – and the little aches that I feel as I walk around the house or office constantly remind me of that.

I’m well aware of the proverb "Be careful what you wish for", so let’s be clear – it’s just LITTLE aches and pains I want, OK?

I've also formally adoped the Hal Higdon novice programme into my training plan.

Finally, an utterly heartwarming interview. And a follow-up.

Comments:
Rest .. yes I know! But the annoying thing is that I feel fine apart from the snot monster and the occasional cough!
Will try a 30 min slow slow walk/run tonight to see how the legs are but will NOT go to club tomorrow as I think they would kill me!!
I have a half on the 23rd so getting a bit concerned but hey ho 102 days to go!

Pix


 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?