marathondan
Some useful links. My London Marathon 2005 diary starts here. The race report is here.
Diary archives: 09/04 10/04 11/04 12/04 01/05 02/05 03/05 04/05 07/05 08/05 01/06
Sunday, January 09, 2005  

Crackers

I was wondering how to fit in some cross-training at the weekend, as required by the training schedule I'm following. I needn't have worried - it just comes naturally. Yesterday I walked approximately half a mile to the park and back, at toddler pace. Then, I cycled into town and back, a total of about three miles, some of it uphill. If the local pool had been open, I would have thrown in some bouncing in the toddler pool as well. I think that's the kind of hardcore cross-training the author had in mind.

This afternoon was my long run; I did 10 miles instead of the prescribed 9 as I'd already done a few 10s. It was fine thanks, completed a few sec/mile outside of 4 hour marathon pace, and with some steady rain at the end which made re-entering the house like stepping into a sauna - great! A sauna that provides post-run home-made bread with butter and honey, that is.

I tried out a new on-the-move food after discovering some in the larder in a snack attack during the week: Hovis crackers. About 70% carbohydrate, lightweight, don't need much chewing - a couple every 2.5 mile lap seemed to go down well, with plenty of water. Somebody please tell me if this is a stupid thing to do, because at that rate I'll get through a whole packet in the course of the marathon.

Another week beckons.

Comments:
Sounds like your long runs are coming along well. As for the snacks the only problem I can see is a pocket full of crumbs come the end of the race, and are you really planning to stuff a whoe packet down your shorts ;)


 
Yes, the last couple were a bit... eroded. For storage I took a fanny pack (sorry, my inner child can't resist calling them that), which does the job but looks daft.

Interestingly, Andy said he "rather bizarrely" took Ryvitas on his first ever long run...

Maybe I'll try custard creams next.


 
Sound as if your trainings going well.
Also looks like I'll have a trail of crumbs to follow.....
keep on blogging


 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?