marathondan
Some useful links. My London Marathon 2005 diary starts here. The race report is here.
Diary archives: 09/04 10/04 11/04 12/04 01/05 02/05 03/05 04/05 07/05 08/05 01/06
Wednesday, October 13, 2004  

Leks and Farts

In which I reveal a liking for toilet humour.

Tonight I decided to try a spot of fartlek. Maybe I should have read the article before I tried it.

Actually, it went really well. I did my normal circuit of 3.5 miles and ended up doing 7 cycles of fart and lek (as I like to think of them). I was able to fart quite hard - until the "I would really like to slow down quite soon" point, rather than the "I must stop now or my lungs will burst" point - and then lek at a moderate jog until I was reasonably comfortable again (although not totally relaxed). I think distance-wise the leks worked out about twice as long as the farts. It was only in the last two cycles that my leks slowed to a really slow jog in order to recover.

So all in all it was a very good cardiovascular workout, and gave my legs much more of a stretch than normal, and the time passed very quickly. AND, much to my surprise (based on previous attempts a while back), I recorded a PB for my circuit. Which all serves to increase my over-confidence... something is bound to go wrong soon.

Update: Etymology here.

Comments:
The "mild form" for the "average runner" is pretty much exactly what I did. In other words, interval training over random intervals, because it was too dark to read my watch. Apologies for providing such a poor link, there's a slightly better one here. Note that my use of the terms "farting" and "lekking" are not authentic and are entirely for toilet humour purposes. BTW, you get some great google ads on the permanent version of this page.

Regarding the second question: are you saying I run like a four-year-old girl? I never giggle while running - I think that's all you need to know.


 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?